Subject: Re: New kernel behavior [was] Re: z50 TrackPoint driver for CVS...
To: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
From: Greg Hughes <gl2hughes@uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/05/2002 16:14:11
On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 03:49:42PM -0500, billy ball wrote:

> thanks greg! (i am *such* a whiner!)

lol...  No problem.  :)  I should have thrown it up there anyway, but I
was waiting until I recompiled it with the LCD suspend support.

> btw, here's what i've found so far:

<snip>

> 7. using:
>
> shutdown -h now
>
> from the black console results in - nothing! this forced me to have to
> remove backup batteries and the LiIon battery and then 'paperclip' the
> reset button (i tested this with and without the two backup AAAs
> installed, so now i just use the z50 w/o the backup AAAs - don't need
> no stinking CE settings anyway)...

I've noticed that the kernel does reboot back into NetBSD instead of
WinCE (which is really nice), and I suppose that's expected behavior.

I'm using the 'reboot' command to reboot the machine, and it always
comes back in grey-on-black text mode, as expected.  I don't see this
flipping between grey-on-black / black-on-white phenomenon that you're
experiencing.

I do however get a completely hung / off machine when I run a 'shutdown
-h now' command -- everything seems to turn off but nothing will come
back on -- just as you describe.  The only fix for this appears to be
removing the battery.  However, this isn't really a big problem for me
since I almost always just leave it suspended instead of turning it off.

> i'll run some other stuff (such as audio) and will report...
>
> all in all, i'm very happy! despite the shutdown problem, the addition of
> LCD blanking, audio, and the addition of trackpoint support is a major
> happy event for z50 NetBSD users!

Now to see if we can get MP3s playing on this thing...  :)

- Greg

<snip>