Subject: Having Xhpc started by init via /dev/ttys?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/27/2002 18:43:24
Hi,

on all my other workstations I have init start the Xserver and then do
an indirect query to the local xdm, which itself does not manage any
displays directly.

The line in /etc/ttys on my i386 machine looks like this:

  ttyE4   "/usr/X11R6/bin/X -terminate -indirect boa.home.loc vt05" unknown on

Now when I try to do something similar on the z50 the Xserver refuses
to start. In fact I can only start the Xserver when I'm logged in
locally on the console.

Is there a way to automatically start the Xserver this way? Having xdm
start the Xserver is not an option, since I don't have any X clients
(that includes xdm) installed. Not even the libraries, just the
server.

When I log in on the text console and su to root, I can start the
Xserver and do an indirect query to another workstation and ge ta host
chooser, and I can log in to any other workstation, and I'm happy. But
I cannot figure out how to do it automatically on bootup.

I am using NetBSD-1.5.3_RC1 on both machines, and use wscons, but that
doesn't seem to support multiple virtual consoles on hpcmips (yet).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Bernd

--