Subject: Re: audio driver [was]Re: Z50 - CF card or Microdrive?
To: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
From: FUKAUMI Naoki <naoki@fukaumi.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/27/2002 10:55:18
I'm busy so I can't spend enough time to write email/html, sorry ;)

At Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:33:28 -0500 (EST),
Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> OK...  So here's my quick and dirty review of the differences, on my IBM
> z50, between NetBSD 1.5 and this latest snapshot (from yesterday) at:
>
> http://kame.naobsd.org/snapshots

Yes. I made new snapshot. Some info is available at
  http://kame.naobsd.org/snapshots/latest/README

(A part of) major changes are:
(generic)
  IP Filter is 3.4.25
  Multicast/broadcast security issue was fixed
(hpcmips)
  VR series Audio Interface Unit driver is available
  GENERIC kernel now support TX3922 cpu (and TX3922 kernel was removed)
  GENERIC kernel now support kloader (in-kernel boot loader, see below)
  hpcboot is available (in hpcmips/installation/ directory)

Sorry, I don't have enough time to read source-changes. So I don't know
other changes.

> It detects an audio device when booting:
>
> audio0 at vraiu0: half duplex
>
> And it sort-of works :-)  esd doesn't like it, at least not completely.  I
> get just weird static.  I can use sox to play a .au file.  I bet I can get
> it to play wav files, too.  I'm still working on mp3 :-)

I heard from HAMAJIMA san,
  Output supported
  Input NOT supported
  Only VR4121 was tested
I think vraui driver will work on VR4111, VR4102. But I haven't tested yet.

> And, interesting enough, typing reboot doesn't actually reboot the entire
> machine, just NetBSD :-)  It shuts down, and reloads the kernel, without
> the side trip through Windows CE land.  Obviously you can still shutdown
> and reboot into Windows CE if you want to.

It is kloader (in-kernel boot loader).

If you do reboot (or shutdown -r) then try to load /netbsd (default path)
and directly jump to new kernel. (If it failed, simply boot Winows CE)

Halt (or shutdown -h or poweroff) is normal shutdown and boot Windows CE.

New kernel path is configurable in kernel config file.

(not this time snapshot, but) current code seems to do
  If memory disk is root device, kernel path is set to "/mnt/netbsd".
  http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/syssrc/sys/arch/hpcmips/hpcmips/machdep.c.diff?r1=1.72&r2=1.73&f=h

kloader is very nice feature :)

--
FUKAUMI Naoki