Subject: Re: X working on z50
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/23/2002 11:11:20
On 22.03.02, 18:20:00, billy ball wrote:

> i am also quite happy with my z50 and NetBSD... i use it as a wireless X11
> terminal (D-Link DWL-650 and Linksys WPC11 cards work great!)... i also
> use it as a portable Internet terminal and for dialup, using my Motorola
> StarTAC and a serial I/O pcmcia card...

I don't have wireless yet, but even with only one tiny cable it
handles a lot better than my normal laptop, and that's not too bulky,
either.

> truly a little wonder, and with the dual-capacity LiIon battery (which
> comes with a AA-cell adapter), the unit seems to run for at least 10 hours
> on a single charge! (the dual-LiIon package is running for $19[US] on
> ebay; the 8-cell AA adapter, which is bigger, lasts for five hours)...

As I had to experience, buying stuff from US sellers while being in
Europe is not really easy. US banks usually don't accept German
checks, and using paypal requires at least a month's wait.

A microdrive (or bigger CF card) and the hi-capacity battery will be
my next purchases. The memory expansion kit is already on order (with
that, the 128M CF card might even suffice, since I can scrap the swap
partition and gain another 16 MB.)

I found that the only way to install the machine was to plug the CF
card into a normal laptop, since my network card was not supported by
the install kernel.

> my only initial problem was getting the cursor keys working (but i got
> around this problem with an xkbcomp hack... has this been fixed in the
> latest release?

Almost, I think. They work fine on the console and in most X
clients. The only program that does not seem to work is KDE's kvt.

Right now I just start the Xserver with "-query boa", boa being my
main workstation/server, but whenever a message appears on the
console, the whole X screen is destroyed. How can I have it
automatically start an xconsole? (And I even need some of the X
libraries for xconsole, right?)

Well, that's it for now,

bye.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD - the cathedral versus the bizarre.
		-- Julian Assange