Subject: Re: using swap with hpcmips
To: None <ab@lists.gxis.de>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/05/2002 09:38:05
In message: <20020205172233.F23904@gxis.de>
            Alexander Bochmann <ab@lists.gxis.de> writes:
: Hi,
:
: ...on Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 08:40:30AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
:  > Most of the CF parts do wear averaging, which is why I was able to do
:  > what I did.  If you need swap, it will be very slow (CF write speed is
:  > in the ballbark of 200kB/s), you can enable it without worrying too
:  > much.
:
: Well, as I said, I don't really need swap right now,
: because the system runs in a diskless setup, basically.
: But I thought, swapping on the CF thing (if I need it)
: would be faster than via nfs on a 10mbit PCMCIA NE2k card
: (especially as I still have system hangs over several seconds
: with the "ne0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 51200"
: style messages).

I've found on my hpcmips box that it is actually faster to swap over
nfs than to the CF disk.  It is slower than swapping to a microdrive,
however.

: But perhaps it will be better to buy some CF harddisk
: then, even if they consume more power, as I've been told.

Yes, they do.  But it isn't too horrible.

Warner