Subject: Re: using swap with hpcmips
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Alexander Bochmann <ab@lists.gxis.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/05/2002 17:22:33
Hi,

...on Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 08:40:30AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:

 > Most of the CF parts do wear averaging, which is why I was able to do
 > what I did.  If you need swap, it will be very slow (CF write speed is
 > in the ballbark of 200kB/s), you can enable it without worrying too
 > much.

Well, as I said, I don't really need swap right now,
because the system runs in a diskless setup, basically.
But I thought, swapping on the CF thing (if I need it)
would be faster than via nfs on a 10mbit PCMCIA NE2k card
(especially as I still have system hangs over several seconds
with the "ne0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 51200"
style messages).

 > write rate to that partition is about 1-2/day or so).  When the part
 > goes bad, it goes bad (no writes) and you need a new one in a hurry.
 > It is surprisingly hard to buy two identical CF parts (in terms of
 > disk geometry) when you are buying them 6-12 months apart.  If the
 > parts aren't identical, you are left with the fdisk + disklabel +
 > dump/restore dance.

Yes, but that wouldn't be a major problem for me... At
least until I finally have a system running off the CF
card, so that I can actually use the Z50 as a portable
device :)
But perhaps it will be better to buy some CF harddisk
then, even if they consume more power, as I've been told.

Alex.