Subject: Re: WARNING RE: PROXIM rangelan-ds pcmcia and netbsd
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/15/2002 14:23:19
> i couldn't get the card to work with NetBSD or Linux... however, upon
> browsing, i ran across a web page with a link to a firmware updater app
> that *supposedly* would enable access point features of the card and help
> compatibility issues...

yeah, our wireless dude here says that those cards need a flash update to
work well with Linux/*BSD.

> i should have known better, but in a fit of exuberant hopefulness i
> followed the posted and included directions, which said to get the card
> working under [shudder] Win98se, and then to run the flash utility...
>
> the update started and ...
>
> promptly hung and locked the system...

after seeing win98 lock hard while trying to format a floppy, I distrust it
at every turn.

the wireless guy here says that there's a linux flash-upgrade utility for
that card; and you might be able to try using that to fix the card.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises