Subject: Re: X on Z50 working
To: None <chrome@real-time.com>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/06/2002 09:50:43
In message: <20020106103149.B8178@real-time.com>
            Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com> writes:
: On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 08:58:02PM -0500, josh wrote:
: > Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote...
: > > Linux BIOS Project may be adaptable to this. unfortunately, I don't know
: > > squat about BIOSes & bootloaders, so I won't be much help...
: >
: > AFAIK these WinCE devices don't have a BIOS.
:
: exactly. that's what LinuxBIOS would give us, tho. if we can figure out how
: to burn ROMs, we put LinuxBIOS on the ROM, and that gives a generalized
: loader for whatever OS we put on the removable media.
:
: only problem is that LinuxBIOS isn't a generalized loader yet... only
: supports loading Linux (tho it shouldn't be hard to make it boot NetBSD, I'd
: think).

The only problem with LinuxBIOS is that it is heavily slanted to
specific chipsets and x86, none of which are to be found in hpc
hardware :-)

Also, making ROMs for most hpc* machines is very difficult for the
average bear, and hard for the extremely clueful and connected.

Warner