Subject: z50 alternatives (was:Re: X on Z50 working)
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/06/2002 10:40:25
> Both models have keyboards that are highly inferior to the z50, IMHO.
	just about everything these days does, truth be told. the new IBM
laptops aren't made like they used to be. :( I know someone who just bought
an A30, and sent it back because he didn't like the keyboard. (among other
things).

> The Thinkpad X-series is the next obvious choice, but the models I can
> find available are all much more expensive (in the $1800-$2200 range).
> For a while, one could find lower-end X-series laptops (x20 or x21; I
> forget which) for approximately $1000, but I can't find them anymore.
	try ebay?

> Given the much greater cost, lower battery life, and annoyance of
> spinning media, so far I haven't found anything I like better than the
> potential of the z50, although I'm still looking.
	yeah, it's frustrating. :)
	what has occurred to me, would be to get an iPaq handheld, and a
keyboard for it. it's only got a 240x320 screen, tho; and suffers the same
suspend-mode limitations as the z50. :(

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer