Subject: Re: X on Z50 working
To: John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
From: Andrew Diller <dillera@sudanacid.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/04/2002 17:07:22
Hi:

I purchased the extended battery for my Z50.

Yesterday, I used it from about 10am till 7pm - 9 hours straight. This is
pretty good, considering that the LCD never dims (like in CE) nor does it
turn off.

Now, I didn't have a lot of net access that day, but I am using a 320M CF
card for netbsd, and the Socket LPE ethenet card in a pcmcia jacket for net
access at work. (I can't get the magic to make the Aironet 4800 associated
on our closed network here-- at home the wirless works fine).

So, 9 hours is pretty cool. Get the extended battery. Its not that much
bigger and give a big boost. In fact, I don't even bring the power cord
into work, I just charge it up overnight.

Blackbox is amazingly fast on this thing -- i've had pentiums that weren't
this fast (although they had linux on them). And I can live with the
640x480.

Although, the Mobilepro 800 looks killer, esp if the usb mouse really works
like the hpcmips pages claims.

---

IMHO what's left to really make this absolutely killer:

- get the lcd screen to blank when I close it
- emulate 3 buttons with the TP
- get 1 gig CF cards down to ~$300 (not microdrives)

-andy

--On Friday, January 04, 2002 3:45 PM -0600 John Utz <john@utzweb.net>