Subject: Re: Problem installing on z50
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/04/2002 10:46:19
> Does the order of the partitions matter?  For me, a is always the NetBSD
> parition, b is swap.. c and d I really don't understand -- the installer says
> they represent the "entire disk" and "netbsd" -- but why do they overlap the
> others?  And e is always the MSDOS parition.

based on your experience and mine, I'm going to guess it does. I think I've
always made 'a' the MSDOS partition. that way wince will see the superblock
from that, and think that it's good to go.
it still sees it as the full size of the card, tho; but I've never done a
'newfs'  on the MSDOS section. as such, it *will* try to write over the FFS
partition if you put too much stuff on the FAT (MSDOS) partition, but
generally this seems to have been more harmful to the FAT partition than the
FFS partition. (I've gotten corrupted data a few times).

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises