Subject: dillo: small, fast browser now available in pkgsrc
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Wong <benjamin.wong@cc.gatech.edu>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/11/2001 04:07:27
Hi all,

Two months ago somebody posted on this list about "dillo", a
web-browser that is fast, has a small memory footprint, is usable even
on small handheld machines, but is still featureful enough to be
useful. At that time dillo was not in pkgsrc and reportedly didn't
compile easily.

Since I wanted to try it out and I also wanted to give a little back
to the hpcmips community, I made a package for dillo. If you have a
recent copy of pkgsrc, you should have it already.

For everyday surfing, dillo is good enough that I rarely have to
resort to a "real" browser. However, I should give some disclaimers,
lest anyone think dillo is flawless.

Misfeatures:

	* Although the binary is small (360K), it requires GTK+, which
          will cost you 7MB of disk space if you don't have it already.

	* It's still in alpha; that is, they're still adding features
          and haven't gotten to the part where they remove all the
          bugs, yet.

	* It does not (yet) have cookies, frames, SSL (https), ftp,
          GIF animations, javascript, java, flash, or macro viruses.

	* Tables are not fully implemented (but are good enough from
          my experience).

	* The right mouse button is the only way to access some of the
          functionality (e.g., adding bookmarks). Using dillo with an
          MP800's touch screen highlights the problems with our
          current Windows + Num + Click scheme for mouse buttons.

	  Tangent: I think Windows + Z + Click would be a nice short-
          cut for button 3. Does anybody know how I might set that?

	* Since the spacebar doesn't scroll down by a page, you might
          wish you had a PgDn key, if you have a MobilePro.

That all said, I think dillo is currently the best browser available
for small machines, such as hpcmips.

You can read more dillo propaganda here:

    dillo.sourceforge.net

	Ben

--
Benjamin Wong				College of Computing and GVU
ben@wongs.net				Georgia Institute of Technology