Subject: z50 and NetBSD newbie questions
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Simpson <jason@xio.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 10/26/2001 12:31:53
Hi. I just recently got an IBM z50, pretty much exclusively to use as a
motorless, wireless, silent internet terminal with NetBSD. I've got a
256M CF card for storage, the 32M memory upgrade, and a NetGear MA401
PCMCIA 802.11b card.

I managed to get NetBSD with X installed and running with the 20010422
snapshot and Greg Hughes' August 17 kernel, mostly following the
instructions on Never Beige and Billy Ball's website.

I can ssh and surf wirelessly with Mozilla (remotely from my Linux box)
using the NetGear card (wow, was that easy! I'm VERY impressed with
NetBSD's PCMCIA handling). It's way cool!

But, there are some things I'd like to do or at least know more about:

  * How do you check the remaining battery level?

  * Is there any way to get the brightness and contrast controls to
work?

  * How do you usually handle periods when you want to shut it off? I've
just been leaving it plugged in and on since the suspend button doesn't
shut off the screen, and I don't want to have to wait for it to reboot
every time I want to use it, but that seems like a big waste of power
and probably shortens its lifespan.

  * Why are the arrow keys so whacked out under X? (Thanks Billy Ball
for your instructions on getting them to work at all!)

  * Is there any way to emulate the middle mouse button under X?

  * Is the X server in the snapshot using any video acceleration
features of the hardware?

  * I'd like to set up a cross-compilation environment under NetBSD/i386
so I can try patching the kernel with the LCD suspend functionality,
etc., but the documentation is either incomplete or very opaque to my
non-BSD-aquanted eyes. Is there more a step-by-step HOWTO-style document
for setting up the cross-compilation environment and compiling a new
kernel for the foreign target?

	Thanks a bunch for your help and your efforts so far!
	-jrs