Subject: Success!
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 10/11/2001 14:49:55
Well, after compiling my own kernel for my IBM z50, I decided to move and
and try to make it even more usable.  What I really wanted was an AIM
client and a web browser.  Running netscape remotely is one thing when I'm
doing it at my apartment, but something completely different if I'm on the
road.  So I decided to try and get mozilla and gaim running...

My first hitch was that they both need gtk+, which requires glib.  Though
there's a package for gtk+, there doesn't appear to be one for glib,
unfortunately.  So, I grabbed the pkgsrc tarball, installed it on my home
machine, and made it available to the z50 over NFS.  This has really
turned out to be a life saver.  I changed into the gaim directory, and
gave the make command.  Twelve hours and a nine packages later, it was
churning away on gtk+.  I had glib, jpeg-6b, tiff, png, perl, digest,
gettext, gettext-m4, and libtool-base.  All, just so I could get gaim
installed :-)  Well, with all those installed packages, I was really
beginning to lose diskspace, and I knew that gtk+ would really start to
push me up there.

Well, I gave up on gaim...  Instead, I remembered that there was a tcl/tk
AIM client.  I grabbed the tcl package, and am now compiling the tk
package from the pkgsrc tree.  Luckily, they're moderately small in size.

In the mean time, I've installed Arena.  I've realized that there's no way
mozilla is going to fit on this thing, especially with packages like perl
loaded :-)  I've gotten rid of all the packages I can (tiff, perl, glib,
etc) and am now down to 74%.  I imagine that tk (when it's installed)
won't get me too much higher.

I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations about any other good, small,
lightweight, web browsers that they've gotten to work under
NetBSD/hpcmips?

Adam