Subject: Re: Installation problems...
To: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
From: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 10/04/2001 10:03:54
On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

> formatted the Microdrive under Linux using a USB CF reader.  I gave it a
> 20 meg DOS partition, and the rest I gave to NetBSD.  I copied all the

so, you partitioned and made the first partition type msdos and the second
type Linux ext2 and then *formatted* both partitions properly, right?

> base NetBSD sets (base.tgz, etc.tgz, and kern.tgz) onto the 128 meg CF
> card, booted off the install kernel, mounted the CF card, ran disklabel on
> the Microdrive, and then installed on to the Microdrive.  The installation
> ran without a hitch.

> Now here's the problem...  When booting off the regular kernel (from Greg
> Hughe's website), everything starts fine.  It detects both the network
> card and the Microdrive.  It properly identifies the Microdrive as 340
> megs...  And then, when it goes to mount the root partition, this is what
> I get:
>
> root file system type: msdos
                         ^^^^^

the root filesystem should not be type 'msdos,' but should be formatted
during the NetBSD installation process!

> warning: no /dev/console
> init: not found
> panic: no init
> Stopped in pid 1 (init) at	0x8014e468:		jr	ra
> 		bdslot: nop
> db>
>
> I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the base of my problem is that it
> sees the root filesystem as msdos.  This is just not true.  wd0a is,
> without a doubt, ffs.  I've booted off the install kernel at least four
> times to confirm this.  I've checked, rechecked, rechecked again, and then
> again.  When I break out of the installation process and drop to the
> shell, I can mount /dev/wd0a without any problems.  I've even gone through
> the installation process twice, and gotten the same results both times.

are you performing the install using the 1.5.1 install kernel or the 1.5.2
install kernel?

> I've noticed something else that makes things even more interesting... The
> install kernel sees the microdrive as both wd0 and wd1, and shows the
> exact same disklabel for both.

corrupted install kernel?

> So, am I doing something stupid?  Is there some strangeness about the
> Microdrive that I'm just not familiar with?  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

the only 'strangeness' i've encountered was with a 1GB microdrive... you
must force a re-ordering of the automatic partitioning map because for
some reason NetBSD won't/can't use /usr if it is 'below' swap in the
partition table generated automatically...

the microdrive should work just fine (mine does, using the 1.5.1 install
kernel)...