Subject: Re: Any extensive newbie guide on installing/using Netbsd/hpcmips?
To: Tom Gottheil <tom@gottheil.com>
From: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 10/02/2001 17:52:01
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Tom Gottheil wrote:

> I'm a Netbsd newbie (I know Freebsd fairly well), and I have an NEC
> Mobilepro 880 that I would like to install Netbsd on.  Is there any
> installation guide specifically for Netbsd/hpcmips?  I've looked at most

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.1/hpcmips/INSTALL.txt

> of the guides on the web pages, which have been helpful, but I'm still
> slightly worried about frying my computer.  Are there any external
> installation and user guides for Netbsd/hpcmips?

you won't/can't fry your computer... the worst that can happen is a
partitioning error on your compact flash or microdrive, which is easily
corrected by repartitioning...

i'm unaware of a 'live' filesystem (ala Linux) in which you can boot to a
live session running off CD or a network-mounted drive...

i've found the easiest way to install is via an Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI
adapter using a CD containing the NetBSD hpcmips tarballs...

hth,

billy ball
http://www.tux.org/~bball/z50