Subject: Re: A question about CF cards.
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/24/2001 11:29:04
> > Given 64-33-x (x = Dos partition) would 31-x be enough space for X etc.?
>
> Well, figure that x has to at least be the size of the bootloader and
> NetBSD install kernel.  We're now talking approx. 7 megs.  If you can
> install NetBSD over the network, or from a cdrom drive connected to a
> pcmcia adapter, great!  Otherwis, tack on an addition 10 megs for the
> small NetBSD base install package.

actually, I've been able to boot the NetBSD install kernel from the wince
memory, on my z50 (at least I did it once...). I did have the bootloader on
my CF disk; but I suspect that doesn't make any difference, since it should
be all in memory at boot time anyway.
	so you don't actually *need* the DOS partition on the CF disk; it's
just conveinient, because otherwise you'd need to FTP the bootloader over
every time you wanted to boot. :) *
	I myself also use the DOS partition for a copy of zterm; a little
WinCE terminal app, which is useful for configuring routers, and
telnet-SSL'ing to whereever you want to go. if you're just going to use your
handheld as a network text terminal, or portable serial terminal; it may be
easier to just use this tool, rather than wrestle with the limitations of
NetBSD.
	The system I have on my z50 only takes up about 47MB; including the
compiler. so it fits pretty well within 64MB. (I don't have X on there yet;
but it looks like a pretty reasonably-sized package.)
	I'm interested in getting it below 32MB; since that's what a friend
of mine has for his z50. do any compressed filesystems exist for NetBSD?
(like the cloop one developed for the Linuxcare Bootable Buisness Card; or
linux cramfs.) what about having a bzip2'ed fs image that gets mounted as a
ramdisk at boot time? that would make a bit more space on disk, at the
expense of memory.

* has everyone else figured out that wince's IE will support
 username/password-based FTP, if you specify it on the URL? something like
 ftp://username:password@ftp.server.with.your.stuff
 much more convenient than setting up an anonymous FTP server just for this.
 :)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer