Subject: Re: A question about CF cards.
To: Paul Williams <Paul.eyejay@btinternet.com>
From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/24/2001 10:45:22
On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Paul Williams wrote:

> Is it possible to create a usable system on a 64MB card? By usable I
> mean with tools beyond basic file editing/manipulation (ls, ln, etc.)
>
> Given 64-33-x (x = Dos partition) would 31-x be enough space for X etc.?

Well, figure that x has to at least be the size of the bootloader and
NetBSD install kernel.  We're now talking approx. 7 megs.  If you can
install NetBSD over the network, or from a cdrom drive connected to a
pcmcia adapter, great!  Otherwis, tack on an addition 10 megs for the
small NetBSD base install package.

In short, I don't think you're going to get all that you want on that CF
card, though I've personally never tried.

> IMO one of the problems with wince is the lack of a decent freeware ANSI
> C compiler. I'm guessing hpc/netBSD has some of the popular unix
> compilers as part of installation?
>
> AFAIK there are no partitioning tools for wince, can I partition during
> installation? (I've seen reference to a CF->PCMCIA converters for
> partitioning. I have no boxes with PCMCIA or CF sockets/adapters.)

Well, you can partition during the install...  However, when you do,
you'll lose everything on the CF disk (including the bootloader, and the
small base install package if you're installing it that way).

There really is no easy way to do this install :-)  If you have a USB CF
reader, and a computer that supports USB, you could use that to partition
the CF disk.  I haven't done it that way myself (I used a CF->PCMCIA
converter), but I imagine it would work pretty much the same.

> Sorry for the easy questions :-/ My Unix experience ends at the desktop,
> and then not netBSD :-(

No problem. :-)

Adam