Subject: z50 lockup on screenblank
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/18/2001 15:22:52
I was just trying out the screenblanking support for the z50; and was
overjoyed to find that it works!

while trying to explore its properties, tho; I managed to hang the machine.
:(
I found that closing the cover didn't suspend the screen. :(
I was ssh'ed into it at the time; and tried (as root) running
/usr/bin/screenblank. it complained that /dev/wskbd0 was busy and couldn't
access it.
so I logged into the console, and tried it from there. same result.
i hit the suspend button, and it blanked the screen. hitting the <enter> key
a couple of times verified that the whole machine was suspended (the
expected behavior).

however, when I pushed the suspend button again; the screen showed several
vertical grey bands (composed of what looked like individual grey streaks);
the network activity light (on the network card dongle; a Linksys ne2k
clone) blinked a few times; and the system was unresponsive. :(

the display was in 'reverse' video mode at the time (black text on white
background).

what is the best way to provide more debugging information?

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises