Subject: Re: HPC devices drop sh and mips for arm?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/14/2001 15:34:43
this is kind of getting off-topic for port-hpcmips, maybe move to
tech-embedded?  as an embedded developer myself, I always find talk of
this sort very interesting...

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 12:48:48AM -0500, John Utz wrote:

> DO NOT FLAME ME :-)  mips's has no champion because nobody really owns
> it,

MIPS (the entity as spun off from SGI) is still around, no?  and
according to MIPS' website, microsoft's UltimateTV uses MIPS.  ;)

it seems like sparc is kind of in a similar boat.  aside from sun
hardware and digital cameras, I don't know of anything else using
sparcs, embedded or otherwise.

> [...] motorola should have gotten out of the cpu business after the
> 68hc11 because those people just can not execute. they can design,
> they can write great documentation, but they just cant sell anything
> at a cost that makes sense.

and they seem to have trouble getting things out to distributors.  case
in point: the MPC555 and 565.  and of course mcore was a complete flop,
and so they're getting on to the ARM bandwagon, I assume so they don't
lose Palm.

  "If you are wondering why I stopped after ten chapters, it is because
           Chapter 11 was never considered for a book on Alpha!"
    --  Dileep P. Bhandarkar, _Alpha Implementations and Architecture_