Subject: Xhpc touch screen precision
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Wong <benjamin.wong@cc.gatech.edu>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/16/2001 00:49:04
Hello,

Is anyone working on improving the precision of the touch screens on
the NEC MobilePro / MobileGear series? There are three problems I see
(this is based on using the stock Xhpc from NetBSD-1.5.1):

   1. Lost events. Sometimes when I remove the pen from the screen,
      Xhpc doesn't notice and my next click is interpreted as a mouse
      drag. This can be a major headache.

   2. Jittering: When I use Xhpc and hold down the pen to the screen,
      the cursor jitters. That is, the mouse makes small, very fast
      random jumps.

   3. Spurious events. On rare occasions in the middle of dragging
      the pen (for example when drawing a single brush stroke in the
      GIMP), Xhpc will think that I've released and pressed down the
      mouse again very quickly.

Problem #1 doesn't affect WinCE, so I know it has to be a problem in
our software. I've been poking a little bit at the source code but I'm
not sure where to begin. Can anyone (Takemura?) give a pointer to
which files I might want to start hacking first?

WinCE has problem #2 but the jittering is not as noticeable. (To see
it, try picking up and holding an icon in one position on the
desktop). Could it be that WinCE is averaging the mouse events over
time or throwing out movements that occur too rapidly?

I don't think WinCE has problem #3, but I haven't used it enough to
know. (I've tried performing repeated experiments, but there's only so
much solitaire you can play in the name of science). I think this
problem could be solved with a filter for spurious events.

If I were to write code to average or filter the mouse events, where
would be a good place to put it? Should I do it at the wscons level?
Or would it be better in Xhpc's hpcMouse.c? Or somewhere else?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the length of this post,

	Ben

P.S. I've been using 1.5.1 on a NEC MobilePro 800 for about a month
now and I love it! I've been amazed at how complete and functional
this port is. You guys working on NetBSD/hpcmips are the best.

--
Benjamin Wong				College of Computing and GVU
ben@wongs.net				Georgia Institute of Technology