Subject: Re: USB on MobilePro 800
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/01/2001 15:00:52
--lzfPtAjrR1KYNfg0

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 11:38:47AM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:

> At 04:00 PM 7/31/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >I asked about this once before, but got no response:
> >
> >What's the status of USB on the MobilePro machines?  Is there a lot of
> >glue to be written, or is it simple stuff that just needs a tester?
> >Is documentation lacking, or something like that?
>=20
> It's lack of documentation.  Since most(all?) USB chips are PCI based
> and use DMA.  However the MP800 is not PCI based.  So there must be some
> glue logic somewhere.  My guess is that the USB has a 64KB shared RAM
> buffer that is the limit of it's dmaable memory.  But it's hard to tell.
> Now if NEC was willing to release the documentation or sources to its
> WINCE USB driver for the MP800, it would go a long way to getting it
> supported.

You've already asked NEC for info, right?  Do you think it would do
any good for others to nag them, too?  Does anybody have a good
contact at NEC that we could go through?

Chris

--=20
Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large
  www.netbsd.org www.postgresql.org www.schemers.org www.python.org

--lzfPtAjrR1KYNfg0

--lzfPtAjrR1KYNfg0--