Subject: RE: E100/Microdrive
To: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
From: Steven Sartorius <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/08/2001 04:42:35
On Thu, 08 Mar 2001, George Sollish wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, David Cowan wrote:
>
> > Out of curiosity, what kind of battery life are you getting out of your Z50
> > with the Microdrive installed ?  How often do you hit the disc ?
>
> Never got far enough with the z50 to find out.  I finally threw in the
> towel when the NetBSD boot paniced at "unable to start (find?)
> /dev/console.  Is this a known problem with a workaround?  I was
> installing by loading pbsdboot and the install kernel on a small dos
> partition on the Microdrive, then booting the z50 and dragging down
> the installation sets by NFS from my desktop.
>
> George E Sollish	Chief Engineer		Auto Gear Equipment
> 			Host			Classic FM's Listening Room
> 			Project Manager		The Payne Lake Project

I have a z50 with an original 340MB Microdrive.  I installed much the way you
described (small dos partition with bootloader and install kernel) but I
grabbed the installation sets via ftp.  This was back in the 1.5beta days but
I've since updated my kernel and userland to 1.5Q (cross-compiled on a i386
box).  Are you installing the 1.5 release?  Did your devices get made by
sysinst?

I'm very happy with my z50 -- the most portable system I've ever owned and you
can pack a surprising amount of stuff in 340MB (perl,python...).  Hope you get
it working!

Steve