Subject: Re: usability of netbsd on hpc's like mobilepro 750+?
To: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/04/2001 15:30:22
	to add more answers... (sorry to be "me too"-ish)

>: I realize "usable" varies per person.  But I wonder, can you at least get a
>: basic non-X install going where you can use the HPC as a good portable
>: system for network troubleshooting (ssh, telnet, ftp, dhcp client, etc)?
>Yes.  No problems.  I used mine, a little, at BSDcon to login to home
>with ssh.

	yes, if you can live with the keyboard.   during the newyear holidays,
	i carried NEC MobileGear 530 + NetBSD/hpcmips 1.5 when i visited my
	granma's place.  it was much light than my IBM ThinkPad, and it worked
	just fine for ssh-over-ppp-over-cellphone (and it did impress my
	family :-)  i'm so glad i carried it with me, and i would really like
	to thank all hpcmips guys.  i have tried hpcmips tree before 1.5, it
	is now so much stable than before!

>: If you do install X, does it run well enough to make it worthwhile to run
>: (as opposed to running in text mode with good old vi)?
>Maybe.  The screen on the 780 is awful small.  I have several
>terminals running on my X server that give a few more lines than in
>text mode.

	actually, console is slower for me than X + xterm (kterm - for japanese
	displays - in my case).  so i'm happier with X than with console.  it
	is a little bit tricky to click the buttons (see manpage for Xhpc).

>: Or at this point, is the port more along the lines of a fun experiment, to
>: see if it can be done?
>I can build the entire port with my machine.  I can also do intersting
>and useful things.  But you may need lots of disk space.  128M CF
>should be plenty, 64M CF might work, but my 48M CF is real tight (so I
>use a CF to boot, but switch to a 2G IDE disk and a CF ethernet card).

	my recommendation is to get IBM's "1G microdrive".

itojun