Subject: mobilepro 800 / easymate 800 + microdrive
To: Marc Rogers <marcr@deceptively.shady.org>
From: Josef Kormann <josefkormann@compuserve.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/30/2000 11:56:42
Hello Marc,

MobilePro 770 and MobilePro 800 are the hardware generation that preceede=
the MobilePro 780 and the MobilePro 880.
As far as WindowsCE is concerned, NEC's answer to a technical question wa=
s:
"MobilePro 770 does not support Microdrive".
(Sorry i can't tell you the exact differences between CF and CF+)
I have tried to install the atadisk.dll for MIPS4300 from
http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/mddwnld.htm
but i did not get the Microdrive to work.
The MobilePro 780 seems to support IBM-Microdrive. For further reading
please take a look at the NEC Discussion forum at www.wincecity.com.

Back to NetBSD:
- If you loaded a netbsd kernel (TX3912) into the memory of a Sharp Mobil=
on
4500 or a Compaq 2010c and then booted the machines with pbsdboot
you would recognize, that the Microdrive works fine (if it was prepared
with a valid filesystem and machines use AC Power).
- Booting a VR-Kernel on a MobilePro 770 (also from memory) might show yo=
different results. (I'm living in Germany and don't use original
Power-Cables)
The microdrive seems to spin up and then the kernel fails to read from th=
disk. I don't remember the exact message ... something
like ... lost interrupt ... !
Microdrive after the install menu is displayed, can let you prepare the
drive
with a useful netbsd installation. After the reboot it does seems to spin=

up and then the kernel fails to read from disk ...

All which I wrote above was concerning the MobilePro 770. In February a f=
ew
messages were already posted about Microdrive problems.
Because the MobilePro 800 belongs to the same generation, it would be ver=
interesting for me what you found out about IBM Microdrive so far.

Oh I have to state, that i used a 1 year old DMDM 10340. (No idea about t=
he
new model's behaviour)

Best regards,
Josef Kormann (i'm a newbie)