Subject: Re: IBM 1GB Microdrive: vendor warning for 1unlimited.com
To: Jun Ebihara <jun@soum.co.jp>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/21/2000 20:23:30
In message <20000922112007U.jun@soum.co.jp> Jun Ebihara writes:
: and notice,please check your machine has TypeII CF slot support.
: Harddisk,such as TypeII 2G ATA HardDisk and Microdrive needs more
: disk spin-up power.some old machine can't supply full electric power
: to spin disk up.

The newer 1G and 540M microdrives have better specs on this than the
older 360M microdrives.  The older microdrives require about 30% more
power to spin up.  The large number of machines that couldn't supply
this was why IBM went with a smaller spinup current.  I don't have a
1G drive, but I'm told it spins up a little more slowly than the 360M
drive.

Warner