Subject: Re: New bootloader
To: TAKEMURA Shin <takemura@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/11/2000 11:08:10
Hi!

> Arino-san have improved the bootloader significantly.
> And I've just commited the new binary a little while ago.
>
> It will be available on cvsweb soon.(tomorrow?)

It is there.

> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/syssrc/sys/arch/hpcmips/stand/pb
> sdboot/pbsdboot.uu
>
> New features are:
>   - dialog style main window

Well, having to press "preferences" in order to select "open serial"
checkbox is not too helpfull, but I guess I should start to use config
file by now.

>   - support to read compressed kernel image

Great! I've tested this feature, and it works. Just gzip -9 kernel,
and it will decompress it automagically. [Thanx a lot, that means that
when booting from ethernet, I no longer download 1.4MB kernel;
compressed image is 0.45MB -- much better.]

>   - automatic boot with timer
>   - human readable configrarion file

Great!

BTW, status is like this:

pbsdboot1.exe works on windows ce 2.0 on Velo 1

pbsdboot.exe does *not* work on windows ce 2.0 on Velo 1

pbsdboot1.exe does *not* work on windows ce 1.0 on Velo 1,
"Application pbsdboot1-gz.exe has performed an ilegal operation and
will be shut down. If problem persists, contact the program vendor.

Program: pbsdboot1-gz.exe
Exception: 0xc0000005
Address: 0x00000000
" -- looks like NULL pointer dereference to me. [My friend Erik bought
velo recently, but he does not have ce 2.0 expansion. I guess this is
showstopper for him :-(].
								Pavel
--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."