Subject: Re: considering purchacing mobilepro 880 for NetBSD use
To: None <sramsby@u.washington.edu>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/18/2000 00:01:09
In message <HEEJIMJKMICOPICMAOPDAEDJCBAA.sramsby@u.washington.edu> "Scott Ramsby" writes:
: I don't think suspend has been added yet, and I'm not sure if it will (due
: to the limited or lack of APM hardware in these things).

Hmmm, first off there's no such thing as APM hardware.  APM is a BIOS
interface that allows an OS to tell the BIOS to do power related
things.

There's no APM BIOS in the WinCE machines, but that doesn't mean that
NetBSD can't do APM-like things.  In fact, when I hit the power button
on my MobileGear2 MC/R430 (sold in this country basically as a
MobilePro 780), the screen turns off and the machine goes into a lower
power mode.  However, there's at least one problem with this in that
the PCCARD slots remained powered up, which presents a problem if
these cards use a lot of power (say for my hard disk setup, which
draws about 500mA, which is why my battery life is so horrible with
it).  I've not had the time to look into this issue, but I'm sure that
the main port maintainers are well aware of the issues :-).

Warner