Subject: Re: considering purchacing mobilepro 880 for NetBSD use
To: Scott Walters <phaedrus@linux732.dn.net>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/17/2000 12:12:03
In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.10008171050500.11556-100000@linux732.dn.net> Scott Walters writes:
: I'm considering purchasing an NEC MobilePro 880, but wanted to find out
: if other people were having good or bad luck trying to do what I wanted
: to do with it. I'm not afraid to try to coax the distribution onto a
: flash card etc.

I'll comment on the MobilePro 780.  Bigger is better for FLASH cards.
One can do it in 100M, but it is very tight.  Extremely tight.  No
room for compilers, or big X programs.

: How is the XServer coming along? Can I run reasonably complex apps
: under it (mMosaic, gimp, etc)?

X server for the 780 works great.  However, with apps that big you
won't be running on flash.

: Has anyone tried to build Perl on it?

Yes.  It works great for me.

: I've already read that PCMCIA cards work great, so I won't even ask ;)
: (Hope to use modem, ne200, scsi).

Yes.

: Does audio work (exa, mp3 listening)?

I haven't seen anything about working audio.  I'd love to know know
about it.

: USB supported?

The 780 doesn't have USB.

Warner