Subject: "split" console
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/07/2000 21:54:06
while writing PS/2 keyboard drivers at work a few days ago, I thought up
an interesting project which hpcmips hackers might be interested in: a
PS/2 to (RS232) serial convertor.

print console text onto the LCD, and take input from a keyboard plugged
into your palm-sized PC.  (could wscons be coaxed to handle this?)

the PS/2 to RS232 conversion could probably be handled by a small
microcontroller, and would likely not take much power.  (I imagine the
microcontroller in the keyboard itself would probably take more.)

perhaps this has already been done by somebody?

the idea of a battery-powered DECStation that fits in my pocket (even if
it needs an external keyboard) is very ticklish to me.  (I can't think
of any other way to say it.)