Subject: Re: X11 On hpcmips (NEC Mobilpro 780)
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 06/13/2000 21:10:48
On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Tim Rightnour wrote:

> 2) How the heck do you hit the 2nd and 3rd mouse buttons??

  Sorry, I'm supposed to be looking at this.  For now, a hack is needed
since the bigger issues will take time to resolve.  This should be done in
the MD part of the X server where device events are being translated to
machine events.  I currently don't have a way to compile X (since the
PCMCIA scsi card doesn't seem to work on the Clio for some reason), but I
did get a pmax off of ebay that should arrive tomorrow.  I'll try to do
this tomorrow night.

  For full X support of handheld devices, X really needs to virtualize
devices and allow "soft devices," device muxing, and other device
interaction (such as keyboard->mouse button) inside the X server and
controlled by applications.  Unfortunately, XInput was designed under the
assumption that every device is a real device.  While it could be made to
work under a new version of XInput, it would be very ugly.  Also, with a
better designed replacement the function of XKeyboard could be implemented
by applications using the input processing instead of a server module.  So
the best option IMO is a new extension that does the right thing.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net