Subject: Re: Battery life
To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/20/2000 02:41:00
> How about the IBM Z50?

Heavy-duty battery, _with_ Type III PCMCIA as boot disk (never off): 10 hours.

This is actually an estimate; my main data point is after using it for 5
hours straight I shut it down and WinCE claimed the battery was 49% full.

I just got a 192MB SanDisk CF card, so I will return to the standard battery
that came with it soon. That should give me times comparable to the 8 and 16
hours they quote for WinCE on the standard and heavy-duty batteries. My early
comparisons suggest that NetBSD actually uses less power than CE, so it may
even last longer!

> I'm going to be flying to Japan soon and am looking for ways to do
> stuff between here and there and my Sony VAIO has about 50 minutes of
> useful battery life.  The flight is 13 hours.

IIRC you're using CF and not a mechanical drive, so you should be able to
get 8 hours out of the standard battery, no problem.

One thing we do need is some way of burping console messages when the
battery gets really low. That's the one thing that worries me about
using it for extended periods. Oh well, reboot into CE every few hours,
play a game of tetris from a PDA freeware site, and check the battery...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com