Subject: bootstrapping with iexplorer!
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/13/2000 01:03:20
Something I discovered while installing my z50 is that you _can_ use
Pocket Internet Explorer to get files onto the machine, but it is tricky:

	1. WinCE machines don't have any kind of zip utility, so you must
	unpack files yourself and put them on a FTP server for pocket
	explorer to download.

	2. Pocket explorer thinks "netbsd" is a text file and won't
	download it as a file; it insists on displaying garbage text.
	Renaming it to "netbsd.bin" or "netbsd.exe" works around this,
	and you can download those to the Storage Card no problem.

	3. Pocket explorer caches _everything_ and simply will not flush
	the cache. If it gets any kind of error trying to access a URL,
	it will keep using the cached error result and not even contact
	the server again, until you reset the hardware! So you either
	have to rename things a lot, or get them right the first time.

	4. Pocket explorer download speed SUCKS!! Downloading the install
	kernel took forever, I figure about 5K/sec or so. Boot NetBSD,
	ifconfig ne0, ftp, it gets 600K/sec easy. F@&#ing WinCE sucks.

No wonder WinCE _lost_ market share last year.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com