Subject: Re: Network / storage options - newbie
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Jun Ebihara <jun@soum.co.jp>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/09/2000 17:53:25
In these days, "NetBSD Supported Hardware Database" services started.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi

Link from http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcmips/howto-use.html
Supported CF and PCMCIA section.

From: Steve K <skrul@yahoo.com>
Subject: Network / storage options - newbie
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 06:28:57 -0800 (PST)

> - First a more general question... is the CF slot really a PCMCIA slot in
> disguise?  It seems like many CF cards can work in a PCMCIA slot with an
> adapter.  Is this true?

True.

> - Someone on the list recommended a CF NIC which seems like a good idea, 3COM
> makes one (the 3C1).  Is there a recommended one that works well with hpcmips?

We have no information and test result with 3C1 Cards.
anybody tested?

> Can the CF NIC be used in the PCMCIA slot with an adapter?

CF NIC Can Used with PCMCIA slot.
Xircom Card package contains "CardCaddy" PC Card Converter.
Xircom Card is TypeII CF,has same height with PCMCIA slot.

> - I will also like to start out with a 128MB CF card, assuming hpcmips will
> work with it plugged into the PCMCIA slot with the adapter.  Will this work?
> Are there any recommended CF cards for hpcmips?

Yes.Works fine.

> I would like to have the NIC and CF storage card interchangeable because I
> could see myself hooked into the LAN (with the NIC in the CF slot and the CF
> storage card in the PCMCIA slot), going mobile (CF storage in the CF slot and a
> wireless LAN or modem in the PCMCIA slot), or developing (NIC in the CF slot
> and some kind of disk storage in the PCMCIA slot).  Will this work?  I hope so

Yes.Works Well.

> FYI, there are a bunch of 520MB Type III PCMCIA hard drives (Calluna, Kingston,
> ATOMLite) on eBay selling for around $140.

cheeep,sounds good.
--
jun ebihara