Subject: Odd problem with ne driver at boot and later, plus console slowness
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/08/2000 11:03:40
I've noticed two problems with the Feb 27 kernel on the VADEM CLIO.

First, I don't think that the pccard is doing the right thing on
boot.  I have two slots, the CF slot and pccard slot.  I booted the
machine with a 48MB SanDisk card in the CF slot and a Linksys
Etherfast 10/100 Ethernet (DL10019) in the pccard slot.  When I
booted, it found the ne0 card, but not the wdc CF controller, so I
couldn't mount root.  I've not investigated this, but may be due to
the pccard changes that were made recently to defer root device
configuration as long as possible.  I suspect that it only configures
one device and then says that it should stop waiting, when it really
should do all the devices.  I've not looked at the code yet to know
for sure, however.

Second, when I booted the machine w/o the Linksys card, it came up
great.  I then inserted the Linksys card, and it probed as one would
expect:

ne0 at pcmica0 function 0 port 0x15000320-0x1500032f
ne0: Linksys Etherfast 10/100 Ethernet (DL10019) Ethernet
ne0: supplying EUI64: 00:80:c8:ff:fe:8e:5c:55
ne0: Ethernet address 00:80:c8:8e:5c:55

I then did an ifconfig ne0 x.y.z.a to my assigned IP address, and the
machine hung.  The messages on the console were:

ifconfig ne0 x.y.z.a
isa_intr_alloc:............................|...
pcmcia0: card irq 3
<date> flinch /netbsd: ne0: remote transmit DMA Failed to complete

At this point the machine hung solid.  No keys echo, ejecting the
network card did nothing, etc.  Time for the reset button.

The kernel that I'm using is the one from the snapshot area:

NetBSD 1.4T (GENERIC) #43: Sun Feb 27 21:13:16 JST 2000

BTW, I've also noticed that the console scroll rate is **SLOW**.  I
don't mean a little slow either.  It is excrutiatingly slow.  So slow
that it would have problems keeping up with 1 line/second.  Is this a
known problem?

Warner