Subject: Everex Freestyle A-10 4MB report, plus 16MB measurement.
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/07/2000 01:35:20
Ebihara-san asked me if I could test out the 4MB card.  Here's what
I've found, plus some minor memory measurements that I don't think
I've seen on the English list yet.

I swapped out my 16MB memory card for the standard 4MB card.  It
boots, even with no swap configured.  Yes, that's right.  It boots.
However, it isn't too pretty.  When I have a getty running on the
console and on tty00, any attempts to login gives:
	UVM: pid xxx (login), uid 0 killed: out of swap
	UVM: pid xxx (cron), uid 0 killed: out of swap
	UVM: pid xxx (getty), uid 0 killed: out of swap
	UVM: pid xxx (inetd), uid 0 killed: out of swap
which leads me to believe that one could hand craft a tiny env that
would work.  For a sufficiently liberal definition of "work," likely
involvign slowness, pain, suffering and frustration :-).

And booting felt SLOW SLOW SLOW.  2x slower than when I had 16MB.  I
didn't time it, so this was subjective.  The kernel part seems just as
fast, but the userland stuff was what killed it, I think.

So it is possible, but not necessarily desirable.

I've had enough pain for the moment, so I'm deinstalling the 4M card
and putting the 16M back in.  The experiment has told me that much
crafting would need to be put into the use of a 4MB device.

With the 16MB device, I have 9-10MB left over to do stuff with.  Hmm,
something isn't adding up, since I have 16MB card, and top says:
	Memory: 1904K Act, 640K Inact, 116K Wired, 9708K Free
which leaves just under 4MB for the kernel itself.  But size /netbsd
says 1662K for the kernel, which leads me to wonder where the other
2354K went to.  The only way the numbers come close to adding up is
when I take available membery at boot, subtract out the buffers used
(920k) and I get the sum of top's report (13288), which is only
slightly different than 13172 reported at boot.  I never did
understand all details of memory accounting.  I didn't happen to catch
what the available memory was on the 4MB boot.

These measurements lead me to believe that a minimal X environment on
a 16MB machine is possible, since an X server for such a tiny, 2-bit
screen should be very memory effecient (well, relative to X in
general, that is).  We'll see if the 54MHz Vr4102 has enough HP to
power X + simple WM + simple apps.  No, I'm not even thinking about
gnome. :-)

Just thought people would like to know.

Warner