Subject: Install from Linux laptop?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: None <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/04/2000 19:44:00
I've had no luck installing NetBSD on the 340MB Microdrive in my z50 (the latest snapshot boots fine but sysinst freezes when I go to partition the drive) so, as per a suggestion on this list, I thought I'd tried to install via the pcmcia slot on my laptop.  Problem is I've got a dual boot setup -- Windows 98 and Linux (SuSe 6.3).  I'm reluctant to nuke out my Linux install with NetBSD/i386 'cause I've finally got it set up and tweaked the way I want -- it also works (if it ain't broke.....).   Anyway, I can mount the Microdrive in Linux and, using fdisk, am able to break it into a DOS partition, and a BSDI root/usr and BSDI swap partition (fdisk gives you a lot of partition types -- BSDI seemed closest to what I wanted).  My problem is that I can't make a ffs filesystem on Linux -- there is no mkfs.ffs or mkfs.ufs.  I've searched for this kind of tool in the usual places (freshmeat, sunsite,redhat...) but it doesn't seem to exist.  Anybody know if anything like this exists?  !
Or do I even need it -- can I install NetBSD on an ext2 or dos filesystem??

Thanks for any assistance...

Steve