Subject: Re: Install on IBM z50
To: Ted Milker <tmilker@radiks.net>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/02/2000 11:15:02
In message <20000302121039.B1168@cypher.evilhack.com> Ted Milker writes:
: I don't suppose you(or anyone else) knows of a PCMCIA slot for a desktop
: PC that works with NetBSD do you?  I don't have access to a laptop that's
: running NetBSD, so I have no way to partition my CF card.  I've found one
: model so far, and that's the ESA-2000 by Eiger Labs, but I can't find any
: documentation saying that it's supported.

Almost all of these cards are supported.  If it is i82365 compatible,
it is supported.  I've purchased about half a dozen different cards
and have had no problems.  I know that the linksys unit is supported
(well, by FreeBSD, but it is a i82365SL compatible chipset, so Netbsd
should have no problems).  I don't know for sure, but I think the
Eiger Labs one is also.  The linksys part number is PCMRDWR, and it is
available from CDW for $93.  It is nice since you can mount the pccard
slots in the front of the machine.  Other units tend to have things
mounted in the back, but they are much cheaper (I've seen them range
from $8.00 to $50.00).  Also, the two adapters that come with the
webgear cards that are/were on sale at compusa are supported.

There are a small number of 8bit bridges that aren't supported in
FreeBSD, but are in NetBSD because they use the tcic driver, of which
I know little to nothing about.

I'm unaware of any card that doesn't use one of these two compatible chipsets.

Warner