Subject: Re: Install on IBM z50
To: Jack Cate <jack@edgar.edmunds.com>
From: Hans Huebner <hans@Huebner.ORG>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/02/2000 18:57:55
On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Jack Cate wrote:

> 	Ah! Can I use a pcmica network card on the z50 and grab the install
> off of a ftp server?

In theory, this is the way you'd want to go.  In practice, you need to make
sure that the current snapshot groks your CF card and that the kernel
recognizes your network card.  You also need enough space on your CF to copy
the distributions you want to install onto the card (this is was sysinst does,
by default) and unpack it.

Another problem you'll have is the fact that you propably want two partitions
on your CF, a small DOS partition containing the kernel and pbsdboot.exe (in a
FAT formatted volume) and a large FFS volume with your NetBSD files.  It will
be way easier to configure this on a fully running machine.

NB:  You don't need to have special hardware, a standard laptop with PCMCIA
slots will do just fine.  Adapters from CF to PCMCIA are available for about
$15-$20.

I'll report more details on my install session later.

-Hans