Subject: try RASOPS_SMALL if you have panics in wscons on hpcmips
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Darrin B. Jewell <jewell@mit.edu>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/07/2000 05:19:36
I noticed that the MobilePro 770 will panic in rasops if you try to
display an underscore on the console, such as by viewing a formatted
man page.  I notice in src/sys/dev/rasops/rasops15.c, that many of
the putchar routines do a "STAMP_READ(30)" which causes an unaligned
access into the int32_t stamp array.

Curiously enough, this problem doesn't occur if you use RASOPS_SMALL
since there is special code to draw underscores at the end of
rasops15_putchar() in rasops15.c.

Although it might be useful to fix rasops, for now the problem can be
worked around by using RASOPS_SMALL in your kernel.  This has the
added benefit of shrinking your kernel size by a few hundered
kilobytes.

Darrin