Subject: Re: diskio.h
To: TAKEMURA, Shin <takemura@netbsd.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/04/2000 00:09:25
"TAKEMURA, Shin" <takemura@netbsd.org> writes:
> Diskio.h comes with Embedded Toolkit for VC++ 5.0. (or 6.0, may be...)
> For more infomation, please see below:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsce/Embedded/start/datasheet.asp
>
> Diskio.h is a tiny header file, but it takes over $1000 :-(
> We can't access BSD partition on a flash card without diskio.h. You can
> comment it out if you give up to access it and load the kernel from
> a DOS partition.

OK, forgive me lame questions here, i'm ... not used to the number of
permutations and versions of 'stuff' to be had here.

That URL points me to the "Platform Builder."  Reading the FAQs, it
seems that PB is the new name for the Windows CE Embedded Toolkit for
Visual C++...

According to the web pages, PB comes with an "optimized version" of
VC++6.  From what i've read on the web pages, it sounds like I want to
install PB 2.11.  (I've already got VC++6 and the CE Toolkit for VC++6
installed.)  Or, maybe, depending on just how spiteful the
installation is, deinstall everything then reinstall PB and the CE
Toolkit for VC++6.  Do you think that makes any sense?

Depending on how that goes, I think i might try doing things without
diskio.h first, since I'm willing to load the kernel from a DOS
partition anyway.

> >Also, any reason why the pbsdboot files didn't get checked in with the
> >^M's taken off?  (I understand the issues around making a source tree
> >checked out under UNIX usable on a PC via samba... was that the
> >reason?
>
> Yes. I usually check it out on NetBSD PC and compile it on Windows via
> samba. My VC++'s builtin text editor forces me to insert ^M.

hmm.  From my previous experiments with vc5, i seem to recall that
maybe the text editor did the right thing w/o ^Ms, but the
project/workspace files needed them or they were considered broken.
Since i'm currently using samba, i'll fiddle around with things on my
end, see if there's any reasonable way to make things work.

cgd