Port-hpcarm archive

Re: earmv4 packages coming soon

On Sat, 14 May 2022 at 19:30, Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 14 May 2022 19:13:15 +0100
> David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> > IIRC it was StrongARM (v4) vs XScale (v5), I think there were a fair
> > number of Thumb additions... but I think the main difference is v5
> > added VFPv2 which is handy for floating point.
>
> IIRC the main difference is that strongarm doesn't have thumb and one
> or two other instructions. And the one, lonely xscale I have here
> doesn't have an FPU either.
>
> Fun fact - we used shark binaries to get X going on the first Raspberry
> Pi, before we got earmv6hf.

It might be time for someone (tm) to re-review the potential 32 bit
arm NetBSD variants for pkgsrc and determine which should get built,
and which should be symlinks to earlier variants.

Excluding v8 (64bit), I think most of the current "interesting" ARM
devices are v7 and occasionally v6, so the order might be something
like v7, v4, and then v6 etc as time permits. (I'm pretty sure there
is more nuance there, hence the "someone (tm)")

David