Port-hpcarm archive

Re: Upgrading NetBSD on Jornada 720

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:44:19PM +0100, Nick Date wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am currently running version 4.99.72 of NetBSD on my Jornada 720 and
> was wondering whether there is an easy way to upgrade to version 5.0?
>
> I checked on the NetBSD website but the upgrade guide seems to assume
> that you've got a machine that boots/installs from CD.
>
> Another quick question - to install sets can I just untar the binaries
> in ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-x.x/hpcarm/binary/sets/ to the
> root directory or do I need to use another program to do this?

You can upgrade by hand.  Boot a new kernel, untar all sets except for
etc.tgz (you really don't want to overwrite your config), and run
etcupdate(8) and postinstall(8) using the etc set as a source.

Be sure not to forget about permissions when you untar the sets (i.e.,
tar -xp or pax -rpe).

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost