Port-hpcarm archive

Retiring apmdev(4)

We have apm(4), that uses pmf(9), and apmdev(4), that uses
dopowerhooks(9).  They are mostly identical otherwise.  My
understanding is that powerhooks API is being deprecated.  The only
two remaining users are apmdev(4) used by zaurus all hpc* ports and
arch/arm/xscale/pxa2x0_apm.c that doesn't seem to be mentioned in any
config files.*

I want to have zaurus and hpc* ports switched to apm(4) so that we can
retire apmdev(4) and powerhooks API.

I brought over changes from apm to apmdev so that now they only differ
in pmf vs powerhooks bits and in trivial s/apm/apmdev/ naming diffs.
Now that they are demonstrably congruent we can do the switch knowing
that effectively we only change power management hooks.

After my recent commits you can just replace "apmdev0 at hpcapm0" with
"apm0 at hpcapm0" in your kernel config to give it a try.  My Jornada
complains about

  Devices without power management support: mainbus0 cpu0 btnmgr0 shb0
  rtc0 scif0 adc0 j6x0pwr0 j6x0tp0 j6x0lcd0 hd64461if0 hd64461video0
  hpcfb0 hd64461pcmcia0 pfckbd0 hpckbd0 hpcapm0 ne0 wdc0

but seems to suspend and resume fine otherwise.

We need to properly convert all drivers to pmf.  For most of them a
no-op hook is probably sufficient for now as hpcapm(4) uses its own
config_hook(9) hooks to manage power.

So if you can help with this task it would be greatly appreciated.  I
can do hpcsh, but I have no other hpc machines.

Thanks in advance.

PS: PMF paper and slides are avialable from the following URLs.  Both
Jared and Joerg are Cc'ed on this mail.

http://2008.asiabsdcon.org/papers/P9A-paper.pdf
http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/presentations/joerg/asiabsdcon2008/powermanagement.html

SY, Uwe