Port-hpcarm archive

Re: Fast CF memory cards worth while?

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 23:20:46 +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:

> I noticed that besides the normal CF memory cards which seem to give you
> 2..4 MBytes/sec transfer rates, there are cards out there which promise ten
> times the transfer rate for ten times the price.
>
> Is the expense worth while, i.e. can a Jornada 7xx class machine actually
> make use of that bandwidth?

I think those fast CFs just support (U)DMA and I doubt Jornada's CF
slot can handle that (I've bought one of those for my Soekris net4801
upgrade and I had to disable DMA for it in the kernel config so that
it doesn't try to use it before eventually giving up and falling back
to PIO).

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost                       |       Zu Grunde kommen