Subject: Re: Psion Netbook support?
To: David Given <dg@cowlark.com>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 12/08/2006 09:02:24
On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 10:59:17 +0000, David Given wrote:

> I have a Psion Netbook. It's a rather nice machine, apart from running Epoc,
> and I'd like a better operating system on it. The Linux port works, mostly,
> but hardware support isn't great, and I'd rather run a BSD.
>
> According to the various mailing list archives, about every nine months or so
> since the thing came out, there's been an announcement that someone's been
> starting work on doing a NetBSD port --- one guy even said that he'd had the
> kernel up and running. But then they seem to drop off the face of the planet.
>
> I don't suppose anyone happens to have a hitherto-forgotten Netbook
> port lying around, do they?

The problem is that the docs for the proprietary system ASIC used in
the Series 7/Netbook are not publicly avialble.  I think Linux folks
had a special deal with Psion PLC to get access to the docs.

Ask Wookey <http://www.chaos.org.uk/~wookey/> from PsiLinux project
for details.  Last time I talked to him about it was 4+ years ago, so
my memory is hazy.

I gave my Series 7 away - I could keep either 7 or Jornada 690 from
the surplus hardware pile we had after a project that used them was
cancelled - and concentrated on 690 (hpcsh) instead :)

SY, Uwe
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen