Subject: Re: Need copy of JSINSTALL.gz
To: None <mcyzyk@comcast.net>
From: Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 05/22/2006 17:04:42
Mark Cyzyk wrote:
>I am new here, having recently purchased a nifty (used) HP Jornada 720.
>However, I recently spent about a month getting NetBSD 3.0
>up/running/configured on an NEC MobilePro 780 (hcpmips) and had begun
>the arduous task of compiling on the device itself, until I fried its
>monitor that is....

>I am noticing that all the docs in the /hcparm/installation/ directory
>are missing.  I am referring to this directory:

>ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-3.0/hpcarm/installation/

>It's just an empty directory.

Yup.

>Its analogue in the HPCMIPS tree
>(ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-3.0/hpcmips/installation/)
>contains not only the HPC bootloader (hpcboot.exe) but also a generic,
>compiled kernel (netbsd.gz) that boots on an hpcmips box directly into
>'sysinst' and therefore makes installation oh-so-possible.  Not to
>mention the lengthy, and really useful, install docs contained in its
>root...

The 'installation' directory in post-3.0 snapshots does contain
hpcboot.exe as well as an installation kernel for the iPAQ 3600,
I was waiting for some feedback on whether it worked before doing
a Jornada kernel.

The instructions will be the same as for hpcmips anyway, but I'll
look at copying them to hpcarm.

>Does anyone know where these files are for hpcarm?   I've heard tell of
>a 'JSINSTALL.gz' file that does what the generic kernel posted to the
>HPCMIPS tree does:  Boot up and automatically run 'sysinst'.  It would
>be great if someone could email me a copy of this file or, better yet,
>just post it up in the
>ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-3.0/hpcarm/installation/
>directory (along with a compiled version of hpcboot.exe) so that
>everyone can get to it.

I will add INSTALL_JORNADA to the build.

It will go into the daily snapshots though, not NetBSD-3.0.

Robert Swindells