Subject: Problem with a corrupted disklabel
To: None <port-hpcarm@NetBSD.org>
From: Richard Danter <richard.danter@ntlworld.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 05/11/2006 10:50:08
Hi all,

I am trying to re-install NetBSD following a crash or something which
caused my Jornada 720 to stop working.

I have followed the instructions from the Palmtop NetBSD article by
Michael Lucas as I did previously. I am able to disklabel, format and
install everything using NetBSD running in a QEMU emulator on a Linux host.

The problem comes when I try to then boot my Jornada. It starts out OK,
hpcboot loads and starts the kernel,  but then I get the following
errors reported:

  wd0: disklabel corrupted
  no file system for wd0 (dev 0x1000)
  cannot mount root, error = 79

It seems odd that the disklabel could be corrupted since I can
read/write the flash disk just fine from the QEMU machine.

Doing a disklabel -e on the QEMU machine I see the following:

# /dev/wd2d
type: ESDI
disk: SAMSUNG CF/ATA
label: netbsd
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 16
sectors/cylinder: 1008
cylinders: 1010
total sectors: 1018080
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0		# microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0	# microseconds
drivedata: 0

16 partitions:
#        size  offset  fstype  [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:   1001696   16384  4.2BSD    1024  8192 45536  # (Cyl.  16*-  1009)
 c:   1001696   16384  unused       0     0        # (Cyl.  16*-  1009)
 d:   1018080       0  unused       0     0        # (Cyl.   0 -  1009)
 e:     16321      63   MSDOS                      # (Cyl.   0*-    16*)

Since I had this system working on this CF card once before I am sure it
can be made to work again, I am just not sure what is wrong.

Anyone see a problem with the info above?

Any suggestions what else I may need to look at to get this going again?

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks
Rich