Subject: Requesting an updated in-depth tutorial on NetBSD installation
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Tobias Jansey <kangawoosa@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 03/17/2006 19:33:22
I've recently kickstarted the buying and fiddling of Jornadas as a
result of a massively successful thread on the Something Awful forums.
Not only are these people in love with the handheld itself, they're
also excited over the chance to use a new operating system. Many have
tried Opie Familiar with the general opinion that it's a mess of
frequent lock-ups and clunkiness and are looking elsewhere for the
ultimate in PDA functionality. Unfortunately, beyond several 'iffy'
distributions of Debian packaged in various ways, there seems to be
very few.

That's where you guys come in. I've seen numerous screens of NetBSD
alive and kicking on the Jornada 720 and am astonished to see a
~March~ release specifically tailored to some issues found with the
handheld. For whatever reason, I've found it very difficult to find
any info on how to go about actually installing NetBSD and the How-To
present on this site appears to not only be out of date with the
recent release, but missing a few key, much needed features.

I am specifically requesting an in-depth, easy to follow tutorial on
how to not only install NetBSD on your average, unmodified Jornada 720
by means of Linux ( Specifically Knoppix as it's easy to obtain, burn,
and use in less than an afternoon ), but how to install and properly
configure an X environment usable by the masses as an everyday, easily
used, and ultimately portable workstation. The absolute ideal
situation would be for someone to prepackage an image of NetBSD with X
preconfigured and a few helpful applications already installed, but
anything would really be a godsend to several dozen people eager to
try this operating system out for themselves.

For an idea of what I'm looking for, point your browsers in this direction:
http://www.lowlevel.cz/log/pivot/entry.php?id=3D41

Thank you for your time! If this has already been done, a thousand
apologies. A link would be appreciated like nothing else and would
make countless new Jornada owners extremely happy.