Subject: Re: Reducing Flash Disk wear
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 05/03/2005 18:50:07
On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 10:51:16AM +0100, Richard Danter wrote:

> I was wondering if it makes sense to try reducing flash disk wear by
> creating a RAM disk and using it for /tmp? It would also have the
> benefit of improving access times, but with the loss of the used RAM.
> Has anyone done this? Is it possible? Is it worth doing?

Of course: man mfs

which is a virtual memory based filesystem, but on something like a
Jornada on flash, you also want to avoid using swap on flash, so it
would be effectively a RAM disk.

All the world is using mfs on disk-based and diskless machines to
decrease access times to /tmp files.

Regards,
	-is